The Telephone Circa 1993

My cell was dead.  Since I was at my lovely sister's house, MissyFoo, I figured I'll just use her phone.  She still has a landline phone, you know, circa 1993. 

I picked up the phone and I dialed a number.  I stared at the phone looking for the SEND button.  I yelled out to MissyFoo in the other room, "Where's the SEND button?"  YES I did!!! For the past few years, I own only a cell.  I have no "home phone", no "land-line phone".  How quickly we forget!

I try again and this time I put the phone to my ear and I hear a "BUZZ" sound.  I waited for the noise to stop, figuring maybe it's looking for a signal.  I DID!  But it's called - a DIAL TONE!  LOL

I hang up to try again.  As luck would have it, the phone made this strange sound that went something like this: rrrrrriiiiiinnnnngggggggg.  I thought: what kind of a ringtone is that?!  I did, I swear!

I stood staring at the phone looking for some sort of display telling me who's calling.  Then

like magic I hear my cousin's voice saying, "Just calling to say hi!"  OH my!  I thought: This phone must have speaker!  I start shouting at the phone, "Hey!  What's up!  Then she says, "Call me back."  And she hangs up!  Now I'm really confused with MissyFoo's 1993 telephone.

I yell out to MissyFoo in the other room, because I can't take the phone with me!  It's tied down and  - get this- not only attached to the wall but tied down with a wire that's stapled all along the sides of the whole apartment!

I say, "Hey Missy Foo!  How do you switch the speaker phone on and off?"  MissyFoo peeked in from the other room and didn't know whether to laugh or cry.  She said, "Dear, that was the answering machine."  "Oh! I knew that!  Just fooling you!" LOL

I told MissyFoo, "Maybe I'll just wait for my cell to charge!" Well, MissyFoo is much smarter than I and said, "Let's see if you phone is working now, dear."

I should have known better!  When she says "dear", she's up to something!  She pressed one button  (Remember those?  BUTTONS!) on her circa 1993 relic of a phone to call me.  I hear my ringtone - the T-mobile jingle.  I run to the other room where my cell was.  I glance at the caller ID as if i didn't know who was calling!  SMH The silly things that we do!

"Hello."  She answers, "Good.  I'm glad your phone is working now, dear."  And she SLAMS the phone down hard.  I hear her yell from the other room, "Now try to do THAT with your cell!"


My ears were still ringing from the SLAM of the phone but I hear her loud and clear as she laughs triumphantly and says, "Can you hear me now!?!?"



Read more Don't Be So Old Skool!