Hot Dogs ... Make way for the Chihuahua!

Street food vendors are pushing more than just hot dogs these days. In fact there is an annual street vendor awards- "Vendys". This year's winner of the coveted Vendy awards goes to... Calexico Carne Asado corner of Wooster and Prince Street. You can't miss this bright yellow cart with the word
"Eat the Street" emblazoned on it. The 3 Brothers ironically named Vendley, originally from Calexico - town between California and Mexico are serious about their food! They even have a website! calexicocart.com

One of the 5 finalists was a pupusa stand
owned by Rafael Soler in Red Hook Park in Brooklyn
Soler originally from the Dominican Republic started by
sewing pants for $3 a dozen when he came to this country.
Now together with his Salvadorian wife they make pupusas.
He says, "Sometimes I don't sleep, because it's very, very hard
[but] I don't lose nothing because
I feel super happy when they come to me every weekend.
Sometimes they don't buy nothing — they say,
'Hi, paisano! You O.K.?' This is what I like.
This is better than money."

Rafael... I'll give you $2 on Tuesday for a pupusa today!

Read more at www.LaDivaLatina.com


Comments